Monday, December 2, 2013

Matthew 6:25-34 "Let Go and Let God"

"Letting Go and Letting God"


This past year I've experienced a bunch of storms that I've created for myself. God doesn't let us go through these storms alone, even when we create them. I've had to keep giving things to God because I couldn't handle it, even when I thought I could, I ended up coming up far to short. Learning to completely trust God is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, especially since so many things cloud out God's tiny, quiet, calming voice.

This lesson, "Let Go and Let God", has become a motto in my every day life. And not just because I am stubborn, or weaker than someone else, but because I KNOW God can handle it when I can't. Which is most of the time. So I'd like to show you just how different life can be when you "Let Go and Let God"...

Over the past year, I've been paying close attention to my friends' lives. Why? Because I wanted to see the differences, the good and bad. Why am I keeping strong, when my friends who may be going through the same things I am, are falling apart? Why am I not sinking in the flood of this world, when my friends are? Why are things so much better for me, when my friends may have more stuff but they have harder times of it?

These questions plagued me, until very recently when I saw a message from my own sister and finally it clicked...

God is the difference.

Now, I'm not saying that my friends don't have God in their lives, what I AM saying is that they DO NOT "Let Go and Let God" - instead they try to be in control of all of the things around them, their whole day is plagued with the questions: "Will I make my bills? Will I be able to fill my family's bellies? Will I have clothes for them and me?" These are just a few, but you get the general Idea. Even though they know God is with them, they can't see past the worldly things.

This is never easy, I even have my moments, but then I remember something I've been taught - not by my parents, but by God's own hand. No matter what happens, God will never leave me and will always make a way where there is no way that I can see.

Over the course of my short life, I have learned that, no matter where you go or what you do, God will always love you, and will never forsake you - and when those storms come (and I mean the storms that make it seem like there's no end), God will make sure you stand strong through them IF you let him. So many people forget that small "if"... God will not forsake us no matter what, but he can't work in our lives as long as we try to keep control of it... IF we let Go and Let God, the storms will pass and we come out stronger and more prepared for the next day of bad weather... And we are able to hold our heads up.

In the book of Matthew, Jesus speaks about anxiety, or worry. Though this was written thousands of years ago, Jesus' words are still true to this day. I put it in a simple phrase that sums up the entire passage. "Let Go and Let God." But to some of you this may seem difficult to understand unless you've read the passage I speak of.

If you are worrying, are anxious, about your life, about your clothes, what you will eat or drink... God has spoken to you in Matthew 6:25-34...

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."
 The part I made bold and italic is the most important part of the passage. Because it is the moral of the whole thing.

Letting God do his work, by seeking him in earnest prayer and sincerity, will always reap the rewards of his Blessings. "Letting Go and Letting God" is a simple phrase, but honestly, if we all just let go of the things we can't control, and let God do his will in our lives - our lives wont be so difficult.

So, even though I still struggle with this, I do my best to remember it. My friends' lives are only difficult because they refuse to let God do his work in their lives.

True, we have bills, needs and wants in this world, but shouldn't we first seek God's righteousness first? If we keep our hearts on God, he will not fail to come through for us.
I've seen miracles happen, I have seen faith tested to the brink, I have seen homes shaken... but in all of it, I have seen those this happened to, stand strong and heads held high simply because they trusted God to take care of them. Maybe not in the ways THEY would expect, but then... God's ways are different than ours... his thoughts are higher and far better than ours, and he is completely capable of working in ways that astound and amaze us every moment.

So if your struggling in this world, if your trying to make ends meet, or your just tired of the fight - don't give up!
God is waiting for you to come to him, in humility and sincerity, and he will make all things work for the greater part of his Glory.
Remember, God doesn't give us more than we can handle, he also doesn't expect us to handle ANYTHING on our own...

So, when your struggling, don't get upset, don't give up and don't get down-hearted... instead come to a quiet place in your home, nothing distracting you (if you have kids bring your kids with you and teach them that coming quietly to God is important), come to God on your knees, or sitting quietly on your bed. Even if your sitting in your cubical at work, or teaching in a school... God doesn't mind where you are, as long as you can focus on him.... Even a small amount of time... And give your struggle to Jesus, laying it at his feet.

And if you truly believe that God can take your struggle and help you through it, and have faith enough (faith the size of a mustard seed), God will always be there to help...

An example of how God can move if you Let Go and Let God...

Look at my life. I've posted much of things on my personal blog here on google. But I have more to those posts...
Through it all, I prayed, a lot! I didn't always get the answer I wanted, but I got the one I needed. I didn't always come out of those storms a sparkling shining angel, but I did come out of them stronger than before. I didn't always make it on my feet, but I did on my knees or crawling. I didn't always see the differences after praying, but they began to come out in ways I'd not expected. I didn't expect to be where I am today with what I have today... but because I let God do his thing, let God bless me and mine, and remembered to THANK HIM for each day... I am here. I am a living example of God's love and mercy. A living example how Living with God's hand on my life, can make life less of a hassle and more of an experience.

So always remember God loves you. He's always there, always with you. Even when the lights are out and it seems the darkness is going to last forever, God is there. He is willing and able. He can and will. But you must...

"Let Go and Let God"

No comments:

Post a Comment